Wednesday, July 23, 2014

People who pay attention are cool.

The scene: an elevator in Anaheim, at a technical conference. I'm going up by myself; at floor X, one woman and two men, all conferencers, get on with me, with the usual rote pleasantries.  The following happens after a short pause:

Man #1 to man #2: "You know, I'm really enjoying the side conversations here. They've been very useful." (Elevator stops at a new floor.)

Man #2 to man #1: "Yeah, and the eavesdropping; I really learn a lot that way." (They both get out and the elevator door closes.)

(After a short pause) Me, aloud, but not specifically to the woman, who is looking at her smartphone: "Ironic, isn't it?"

Woman (who doesn't just giggle, she *bursts* out laughing): "Yes, it is!" (She's still chuckling when she gets off at her floor.)

 I admit, I was happy to score the double play on that one.  :-)

Man, I love people who pay attention.  I hate this place--far too many folks who "personally wet themselves" at the very thought of their own shadows, and (worse) insist on wearing that particular neurosis openly on their sleeves--but even here, I regularly find people who are at least partially worthy of the term "human being".

That is a good reminder for me, in these tiresome times.

1 comment:

MamaLiberty said...

Glad you can find something to cheer you there... I can't think of anything that would get me to go back...

Hurry home, safe.