Monday, March 12, 2012

Explaining government...

...to a non-Kool-Aid drinker.



Loved that.  Hell, most of the time that I venture into that territory without airbrakes, people sure look at me like I'm an alien.

For all its strengths, though, it felt to me like it pulled up short of the most appropriate final punchline:  after all the candor and calling everything what it really is, there should be a final exchange--call it a comprehension review quiz, perhaps--that would go something like this:
Alien dude:  But when Election Day next comes, you'll go right back into the voting booth and legitimize it all over again, with your vote.
Earthling:  Well yeah.  That's the way the system works.
Alien dude:  Okay...well, I guess we can at least agree on that.

Sure, maybe that's a little bit too snarky, but is it in any way wrong?

____________________
Hat tip to Claire.  It does not surprise me in the least to see Larken Rose's imprimatur on the narrative, either:  that fella does have a valuable skill.  :-)

No comments: